Today Barack Obama was sworn in as our new president. I have mixed feelings about this. I wanted John McCain to win, so it's hard to feel complete support for President Obama. I can only hope that he will work to bring the country together and help us with the crisis of the economy. Some Hollywood actors and musicians would have us believe that Obama will be a miracle worker who can do no wrong. As one particular musician put we can now "walk with a swagger. It's cool to be an American again." He was just sworn in today and has yet to actually do anything. The first 100 days are generally the time people give a president to determine if this one will be able to handle all the issues that come with the office. To think that he's a great president is just a little too soon. Yes, he is the first black president of the United States. That is historic. What he does with the office remains to be seen.
The media would also have us believe that President Bush was the worst president in recent history. It's too soon to make that claim. History is better observed when you have a chance to see all that is going on instead of just a small piece of it and when you have a chance to let the facts instead of the emotions be looked at.
Congrats to President Obama. I hope he can accomplish some if not all of his goals.
No comments:
Post a Comment