Tuesday, August 9, 2011

2011 a year of trials

Now that this year is half over I think it's time I did a little update on why it has taken so long for me to get this done. Towards the end of January we discovered I was pregnant again. I was so excited, nervous, happy, scared; all these many emotions since having had two previous miscarriages. At first we weren't going to tell anyone until my first trimester was over, but we felt so confident about it we started telling family. Things were going great until the end of February when I started spotting. I immediately put myself on a temporary bed rest as my appointment was March 2. The day before my appointment my third miscarriage started. I still went in for my appointment, had an ultrasound done and there was no heart beat. I put on a brave face when the doctor asked me if I wanted a D and C but I told him I would do it naturally as I had done previously before. I wish I knew what I had just signed myself up for.
After leaving the Dr's office and getting home my body went into a temporary labor to get rid of the embryo. I didn't realize how much harder it would be to do it naturally as I was 9 weeks and 3 days along. Yes I was curious and actually saw the embryo come out of my body. I would have nightmares in my mind from that one moment for many nights to come. it was so perfectly formed for only 9 weeks. Then I flushed it down the toilet. At about 9 pm that night my body finally quit hurting and I could finally go to sleep.
We were so blessed during that time to have family and ward members bring us dinner. Plus the calls to see how we were doing. I was glad to have that support during that time. After that we thought we had crossed this hurdle.
On March 15 I developed a high fever of 103. I was still bleeding from the miscarriage so I went into the doctors on March 16. The doctor then determined I needed to have an emergency D and C to get rid of everything that was still in me as I may have been getting an infection. I was so freaked out, especially when they said I would have to be put under for the procedure. I have never had any major surgeries in my life. The longest I've ever been in the hospital was when I gave birth to my son. The nurses were so nice and tried to calm me, but I pretty much cried the whole time, scared that this might be an infection that prevents me from having anymore children. I couldn't hold back the tears. J stayed with me as they were prepping me for surgery trying to keep me in good spirits which was really hard to do. He didn't lose control until they rolled me away for my surgery. I only had to spend one night in the hospital but it was miserable. I no longer had a fever but due to my allergies to some medications they had to give me alternatives that upset my stomach, making it almost impossible to hold anything down, except sprite. The morning after surgery, my doctor came in and explained that they were going to do labs and see if anything shows why I was getting sick. Then he explained the reason they had me knocked out was so that if they needed to do a hysterectomy they could have done that. I was in shock. I hadn't thought about that. The worst I had imagined was scarring that would make it harder to have a baby, not lose my whole uterus! Luckily that wasn't the case. Due to the bleeding from the miscarriage though I had become anemic. Yeah that was weird to hear but it made sense. I am so blessed that I have a husband who took care of me through this all and for family that was willing to take A on such short notice! So enough about my issue.. on to my husbands!
Back in December 2010, J decided to slip on a patch of ice that resulted in his foot coming up and almost kicking himself in the back of his head. He went into the Dr but they said nothing was broken. He received some anti-inflammatory meds and started physical therapy. That seemed to help for a little while but the pain never really went away. So after a few more months an MRI was done to see if anything else was wrong. Nothing showed up on the MRI so the doctor said to take the anti-inflammatory longer. So far it is still bugging him so he'll probably end up with a cortisone shot. Yay for him.
So with all our medical issues this year it has been a strain on our budget. I'm thankful for insurance but we've still had to pay quite a bit towards medical expenses.
Honestly we are hoping that the last half of this year is less stressful then the first half. Fingers crossed.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Okay-even being your sister I don't think I knew all of this about you. So sorry that you and your good hubby have had to go through all of this. Keep looking towards the future and know that you are loved, more than you will know!!